Peter Hurley

Dr. Debbie Magids

Dr. Debbie Magids

image96

Dr. Debbie Magids

Dr. Debbie Magids

Dr. Debbie Magids

image97

Headshotherapy

We all like to look our best, and appearance is important; especially the critical 'first' impression. However, think about the role our appearance plays in our individual life and in society at large. Even before the advent of social media-- and all the more so now -- what we look like often takes center stage in terms of how we feel about ourselves, how others perceive us, the attention we seek, and the validation we get.  There is pressure to look a certain way ( just look at the billion-dollar beauty and fashion industry targeted at both men and women) and create a particular impression, but the snapshot we show the world doesn't always accurately reflect how we truly feel inside. In fact, at times, the dichotomy makes our head spin as we work all too hard to hide our flaws, our vulnerabilities, even our very essence.​


It is impossible for us to see a picture of ourselves and not have a reaction to it.  Our initial response might be something along these lines: Ugh, my arms look fat...when the hell did I get so many wrinkles?...damn I look good and need to post this now!  But the hard truth is that when we have our picture taken and when we look at photos of ourselves (particularly when it’s not a selfie), our feelings run much deeper as we inevitably confront our hidden self.  In other words, if a picture is worth a thousand words, then the photo shoot process and pictures of ourselves are priceless … because they are a critical starting point for self-exploration.


That’s why Dr. Debbie teamed up with Peter Hurley,  a renowned portrait photographer to use an innovative process called Headshotherapy.  They partnered after experiencing first-hand how powerful this process can be. Thirteen years ago, Dr. Debbie had a photo shoot with Hurley as she prepared herself to promote her first book. While she knew she hated seeing herself in pictures, the photo shoot experience was even worse than she could have imagined. When Hurley showed her pictures mid-shoot, it become unbearable to the point that they had to take a break and actively work through both their dynamic and her discomfort with the process. The end result was ultimately photos that Dr. Debbie loved, but more importantly, a friendship, a partnership, and a commitment to help others rise past their self-consciousness, heal, and discover who they truly are.


“Awareness is a superpower,” Dr. Debbie often tells her clients, explaining that we are only 5 percent consciously aware of who we are, what motivates our behavior, and what blocks us from achieving what we want. Headshotherapy jump-starts the path to explore the remaining 95 percent of themselves, including uncovering the two or three themes that are playing out in all facets of their life. You can't hide when you are in front of the lens of the camera; it's a powerful process that ignites change.



Dr. Debbie and Peter lead seminars on 'The Psychology of Appearance'.  They also offer an intensive two-day experience that takes these principles to a whole other level of awareness. 


Two-day program:

Day 1:  'The Psychology of Appearance'

• We will explore how we present ourselves to the world and the importance of the the critical 'first impression'. We will also look at how much focus on appearance is too much.

• You will start to understand your relationship to your appearance and how you use your 'look' to cover deeper vulnerabilities and flaws.
• You will have an immersive experience exploring the themes that are lurking beneath the armor of your appearance. 

• You will discover how these themes are impacting both your personal and professional life and what you need to do towards change. 

• You will also learn how to take the best picture possible once you get in front of the camera.


Day 2:  'The Headshot Experience'

• Peter Hurley has always picked up on the themes of his clients. Without explicitly discussing it, he has helped them move past blocks, in the moment, to get the best shot. Now you will gain the same awareness.  Your themes will come alive and you will be in partnership with Peter to move through these obstacles to get your best outcome. 

• Post the headshot session; you will process the full experience with Dr. Debbie where she will tie everything together.

• The end result: because you spent time becoming aware of your hidden vulnerabilities 

( your armor was down), your image will be captured in the best way possible; not only technically but psychologically - your vulnerability will allow your true beauty and essence to shine through ( even with the wrinkles, hating your nose, or whatever insecurity you may have).  You will be able to apply this awareness to effecting change in your life. 


Inquire about Headshotherapy program